4 tablespoons dried pigeon pea seeds or Chana dhal (lentils).
6 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon onion seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
4 dried chillies or to taste
400g Warrigal Greens (boiled*, chopped and drained)
1 teaspoon pulped ginger
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chilli powder or to taste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 green chilli
- Soak the dhal overnight in warm water, drain and rinse; place into a saucepan, cover with fresh water then boil for one hour. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry the mixed seeds and red chillies.
- Add drained spinach, all the spices, salt and chilli powder.
- Lower heat and fry for 7-10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Add the dhal and the spinach mixture to a blender or food processor. Blend until required consistency (can be smooth or a bit chunky).
- Transfer mixture to a serving dish, add lemon juice and garnish with green chilli and coriander.
*Warrigal greens need to be boiled prior to adding to the recipe to remove the oxalates contained in the leaves.